What We Can’t Do

We provide many kinds of support to children and youth. But there are some things the RCY Act does not allow us to do. 

  • We can’t provide legal advice to anyone or influence a legal decision. For example, we can’t help with custody or access arrangements between parents.  
  • We can’t get involved with matters dealing with businesses or private organizations.
  • We can’t issue orders. But we can provide advice and recommendations to government.
  • We can’t require people or governments in another province or territory to provide information. However, we can work with advocacy offices in other Canadian jurisdictions when issues extend outside of Nunavut. 

If you are unsure if we can help you, contact us. Together, we can work out what support we can provide. If we can’t support you directly, we will connect you with someone who can.